2015년 3월 22일 일요일

Archlinux: Temporary workaround for xinit failure after upgrading to xorg-xinit 1.3.4-2

After updating my Archlinux system running kernel 3.19.2-1 with pacman -Syyu X windows' xinit refuses to start with the error "/dev/tty0 does not exist". Instead of startx, I invoke XFCE4 DE from the CLI with startxfce4. On Arch, you can browse recently-installed packages with the following:

tac /var/log/pacman.log | less

Among the xorg-related packages, I noticed xorg-xinit (1.3.4-1 -> 1.3.4-2) and xorg-fonts-misc (1.0.3-2 -> 1.0.3-3) had been upgraded in the most recent update. The fonts package probably isn't the cause of X refusing to start, so I tried downgrading xorg-xinit to 1.3.4-1 (first cd to the pacman package cache folder at /var/cache/pacman/pkg and then manually install the previous package version with pacman -U pkgName):

sudo pacman -U xorg-xinit-1.3.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

With the previous xorg-xinit version, X Windows starts just fine. I haven't filed a bug report (to the Archlinux bug tracker or upstream) yet, but if the issue persists I will probably do so.

Postscript 2015-03-25:
Since I use the xfce4 Desktop Environment, xfce4-session must be upgraded to 4.12.1-2 in order for xorg-xinit 1.3.4-2 to work. The issue is now solved!

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기